Friday, 8 May 2020


Another "Brandschatzung"
Valdemar Atterdag brandskattar Visby (pillages and plunders Visby)
Source: Nationalmuseum      Artist: Carl Gustaf Hellquist

The word "Brandschatzung" exists only in German and in Swedish. There is no English counterpart to it, thereof the title. It means that a conquering army leaves a city open for pillaging and plundering. Such an event is as terrible to the population as the word itself. So why do I bother to write about it this sunny day of May 8. It so happens that I lived through such an orgy of violence exactly 75 years ago.

It was in the last trembling vestiges of WWII. Just the day before, the German Army had capitulated and the war was over. But before that, In Winter and early Spring 1945, the army still nursed hopes of a last defence against the Soviet onslaught, hovering behind a rashly raised Südostwall, a series of helter-skelter barricades ranging from Bratislava South all the way to the river Drava, along the border between the former Empire of Austria and the Kingdom of Hungary. I was born in a small village (Neudau) just West of the Wall, on 23 December 1944. The four following months were a terrible ordeal for my mother Maria, who was only 22 years old.

At the end of April, the Eastern sky went red and the terrible thunder of bombardments came closer and closer to our village. My mother feared the worst, took me on her back and fled westward over the hills and through the forests, until she finally, after several days' ordeal, reached the town of Gleisdorf, where her parents lived.

This did not help her much. Just after her arrival in what she believed a safe haven, the Soviets caught up with her, having broken through the Wall in a matter of just a day or two. Since the armistice was already in place, the inhabitants took care to arrange a peaceful welcome. In all haste, a red flag was fabricated (without the Swastika!), and Members of the resistance entrusted with the task to welcome the invaders. All appeared well and it promised to be a relatively calm occupation and hopefully quick pass-through by the Soviets.

Gleisdorf, not yet "gebrandschatzt"

Unfortunately, a few fanatic SS soldiers had taken a last stance in the church tower. As the Soviet platoon was marching by the main square, they started shooting, trying to kill off the commander. To no avail, and the attackers were quickly annihilated. But, in reaction to this last defence, in fact a breach of the armistice, the commander declared the town open to "Brandschatzung" and let his soldiers pillage and plunder at will for the whole of two days. These days rested forever burnt into the memory of the victims, although none of them ever cared to talk about it.

As a child, I gathered only small bits and pieces of the event. My grandfather once told me an uncanny story: two soldiers had entered their apartment. In the living room they found me alone, playing on the floor. One of them raised me up and was about to throw me against the wall, when grandpa entered, having collected all the watches the family possessed and offering them to the marauders. They of course went immediately for the watches and released me to fall on the floor (without any harm, I am glad to say). Nothing more was said about this. What happened to my mother and grandmother in the mean-time I don't want to even think about.

Maria, and Child Emil happily unaware of "Brandschatzung"

I had suppressed this story for many years; Grandpa had told it when I was only maybe six or seven years old. It came back to me, though, when, at the ripe age of sixty, I happened upon a witness report from the event in a book about my homeland, really a catalogue of architecture and types of settlement. The witness described the story as I summarised it above, which gave me the background needed to let resurface and understand the tale of miraculous salvation by two watches.

Ever since, whenever someone wishes to entangle me into philosophic discourses about the value of life, I am able to provide him with a firm and definitive answer. A life, at least mine, is worth exactly two watches.

Some eye-witnesses, rather circumspect about the event


Peter Weiss said...

A really dramatic story with a partial happy ending. As to the Brandschatzung of Gleisdorf, as gruesome as it must have been, it certainly pales in comparison with the inconceivable atrocities the German army committed in the Operation Barbarossa.

Emil Ems said...

You are certainly right. But, permit me to point out that I was not pointing fingers at, either, the Nazis or the Bolsheviks; simply telling a story!

Per Wijkman said...

Tack för din skrämmande artikel om brandskattningen av er stad. Jag är glad att du räddades tilll livet av två armbandsur!

Dag said...

Many thanks! Possibly, I should
anew take up the habit of carrying one watch or two… Today, I only use my mobile.

Alan McCornick said...


Read your posting with great interest.

I'm always glad to see people remember their loved ones and keep the memories alive of the battles they fought and the challenges they faced. It's a means of maintaining dignity and separating the meaningful from the trivial. Thanks for keeping me on your list of contacts.

I love the German language. Love how earthy it can get. How direct, in comparison to the way other languages, including English, can water things down through indirectness and euphemism. Pillage, plunder and maraud are the standard translations of Brandschatzung, but they convey only the sense of robbery, of running off with the wealth of a place. The "Brand" conveys the notion of burning the place to the ground, of complete and total destruction, a much more terrifying image. I note that Dutch and Frisian and all the Scandinavian languages also include their equivalents of "brand" - possibly a suggestion that fire was more of a Viking/Gothic thing than a Roman way of dealing with the outside world.

Emil Ems said...

Thank you kindly, Alan, for your interesting comments. I really appreciate your views on the linguistics, since you have always approached this issue in your blogs with a far more serious and academic perspective than I have. For me, it has always been a more instinctive insight.

Yours sincerely
Emil said...

BRANDSCHATZUNG ist ein typischer Kriegsbegriff. Die Russen kamen als Speerspitzen nach Österreich und mussten noch ein Blutbad in den eigenen Reihen mit 1000en Toten im Osten Österreichs hinnehmen, wo fanatische Nazi-Soldaten eine Verteidigungslinie besonders im Burgenland aufgebaut hatten.

Die Westmächte kamen als willkommene Befreier, offensichtlich wollten die Franzosen nicht Westösterreich besetzen, da sie kaum Kraft und Mittel dazu hatten und total kriegsmüde waren. Sie entsandten deshalb auch hauptsächlich marokkanisches Militär. Briten und Amis waren durchwegs beliebt.

Eva said...

Dear Emil,
How interesting to read what an important part two watches have played in your life! What luck that you were rescued in this miraculous way!
Kind regards

Anonymous said...

Käre Emil!
Fruktansvärd händelse! Förstår att den satt spår i Din själ – spår som Du försökt att förtränga men som väcks till liv när någonting får Dig att minnas.

Din morfar var uppenbarligen en stark person som, i den situation som då rådde i hans hus inte tvekade att agera för Din räddning – d v s gjorde vad han kunde när allt var som värst.


Anonymous said...

Tack Emil för detta. Det verkar som den äldre generationen som fick utstå krigets fasor har hållit dessa inom sig. Min pappa, tex var i Polen vårvintern 1946 på uppdrag av Europahjälpen och berättade mkt lite vad han såg. Men han skrev ner det senare men anteckningarna försvann.

Werner Stastny said...

Lieber Emil!

Habe Deinen Beitrag zu Brandschatzung und Flucht Deiner Familie nach Gleisdorf gelesen.

Ich bin zwar vier Jahre älter als du, kann mich aber auch nicht an die folgende Episode erinnern.

Die letzten Kriegshandlungen in Wien waren schon vor dem 8. Mai zu Ende. Die russischen Soldaten zogen durch die Stadt von Haus zu Haus. Zwei Tage lang war Wien für Plünderung freigegeben. So kamen sie auch in unseren Luftschutzkeller im Haus. Scheinbar freundlich. Verlangten Armbanduhren. Auf Empfehlung ließ man sämtliche Wohnungstüren offen, um wenigstens die Türen zu retten.
Ein Soldat nahm meinen kleinen Bruder, der zweieinhalb Jahre war, auf den Arm und fragte unsere Taufpatin, ob sie die Бабушка sei. Sie als geborene Tschechin sagte ja. Ich und mein Bruder verstanden scheinbar Wawa. Seitdem, und bis zu ihrem Lebensende, hieß sie nur noch Wawa. Es gab keinerlei Gewalt bei dem russischen Besuch.

Die Nazis, die sämtlichen Wohnungen in unserem Wohnhause an sich gerissen hatten, quälten diese Frau sehr. Sie war Hausbesorgerin seit 1927 und damals die einzige Christin (Goy) im Haus. Als geborene Böhmin wurde sie dann von den Nazis, die die Wohnungen samt Inhalt bezogen hatten, oft als Kommunistin angezeigt. Vor allem die Blockwarte, die eine enorme Macht hatten und sie auch ausnützten. Das hatte zur Folge, dass sie sich immer wieder bei der Gestapo zum Verhör einfinden musste. Beim letzten Besuch sagte der Beamte, ein Wiener, " Gehns Muatterl, was wollen´s denn schon wieder bei uns, gehns ham“.

Im April, einige Tage vor dem Einzug der Russen, flüchteten die ärgsten Nazis in die amerikanische Zone oder sonst wohin. Ein älterer Nazi, der die Flucht nicht schaffte, wurde von einem Kommunisten den Russen ausgewiesen. Sie traten die Tür ein und erschossen ihn auf der Stelle. Unsere Wawa, die auch die Hausbesorgerin war, entleerte seine Hosentaschen und wickelte ihn dann in Packpapier bis zum Abtransport ein.

Unsere Taufpatin, die vor 1938 viele der jüdischen Familien als Hausbesorgerin besucht hatte und deren Möbel, Kunst usw. gut kannte, konnte dann später den Überlebenden in England und USA erzählen, wer ihre Wohnungen geplündert hatte.
All das hat sie mir bei vielen Gesprächen erzählt.

Wawa wurde 100 Jahre alt. Sie erzählte uns auch, dass sie 1916 am Ring stand, um dem Trauerzug Kaiser Franz Josefs beizuwohnen. Sie war damals schon 32. Sie war überzeugte Royalistin.